Cookie Information, please respect my cookie handling while usage this website, or close this session. click here
Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Successful Build : 04/2019 


tech:

it adds an envelope controllable Ring Modulator, Chorus, Tremolo, Delay, and Reverb effects. It is designed to work seamlessly with Deckard’s Dream, but it also works as a standalone audio effects device.


Schematics:

DD-EXPANDER-SCHEMATICS-REV1.zip for rev.1.0


BOM:

DD-EXP-BOM-REV1.0.1.pdf latest version for rev.1.0 and YOU MUST ADD 2x TL071 and 1x 4.7uF MLCC capacitor RM5
DD-EXP-BOM-REV1.0.0.xlsx (Old version) for rev.1.0


BOM LATEST BOARD VERSION INFO

rev.1.1 changes

the new PCB Version is 1.1 !! (midi noise fixed)

it use following changes which affect the above BOM, you have to respect this:

IC33 and IC37 is TL071 (DIP8)

C166 not in BOM 4.7uF ceramic (MLCC) RM5


DDRM Expander VC Placement Guide V2 from Kevin Looney:

DDRM Expander VC Placement Guide V2.pdf


DDRM FAQ and Build tipps from Todd

Deckard’s Dream Expander FAQ and Build Guide V1-7.docx


MIDI-NOISE FIX pictures:

only for DIY PCB Version 1.0

is fixed in DIY PCB Version 1.1


If you want a fix of your factory assembled Version, contact me 

Click expand for Pictures from rev1.0 pcb Modification FIX

 Click here to expand...

Power LED Installation:

remove the 12V LED from the Card PCB and drill a 4,5mm hole in the frontpanel - which is the standard size for 3mm LED-holders (available in most electronic shops)



psu DC-DC alternative part: 

DKMW30F-12 meanwell (approval (tick) - tested (tick))

The DSP chip, potentiometer, AS3310, As3340 from Musikding too (tick) confirmed


Case:  169 USD

http://siddarthianinnovations.bigcartel.com/product/deckard-s-dream-expander-case-and-panel-pre-order


First Design Concept:


Final:




Expander patch









1 Comment

  1. I got the DDRM expander (ready build smd version) 2weeks ago, first jams where real cool....
    But after some jamming I found several weak points and was then realising that the unit is far from perfect...

    • Some fader behaviour where far from useful and started to nerve... especially => ADSR Release /  RM-Speed  / DL-Tone. I fixed it with just some added resistors
    • As above, not having a single LED to see the unit switched on is just too minimalistic....
      I decided to add: A LED showing the ADSR Envelope, A power LED and a very helpful overload LED to signal any overload of any of the three FX chips (FV-1  Pin5)
      (see the schematics for the LED mods below)

    Unfortunately during my lab investigations I found more...

    • Level matching of each FX stage is far from optimal, there is at least a 12db waste in S/N ratio (I fixed the level matching internally) You get either more noise or distortion... hence where the overload LED came from
    • Big level drop when switching to Tremolo mode (not fixed yet, needs additional analog switch)
    • Erroneous SW in the Delay FX. If you put the fader fully up there is a fix delay of about 160msec with absolute strange behaviour of feedback/tone (adjusted the fader range to start with proper delay modes)
    • Unfortunately, the delay time can not be adjusted without disturbing zipper noise (could probably be fixed with proper delay software)
    • Master Volume sets headphone and FX output in parallel but headphone is extremely loud, making it impossible to use both outputs at the same time (I split headphone and line out with line out having fix level)
    • Mono Output has a 6db higher output level than L/R and can easily run into distortion (I tuned the output driver for 6db less output level)
    • The input circuit monos the two inputs and limits the high frequency range too strong for my opinion. Trough-out the whole unit there is a substantial loss of high frequency on the direct signal!

    But now to mention the good things (wink)

    • The midi to gate conversion time/latency is with 1.2msec and hardly any jitter; excellent! Most developers using Midi neglect the critical timing (latency/jitter) and don't tell you the specs
    • Overall noise figure is quite good (with my level mods even better)
    • The RM is what we wanted and its great (smile)
    • all the fader settings are CV based leaving room for great further mods... Next I will add at least CV pedal inputs for RM-Speed and RM-Balance (maybe others) to add performance possibilities

    Possible future Improvements (my personal favourites)

    • All of the above mods
    • The unit could easily be layed out in full stereo from stereo in to stereo out without adding much more electronics instead of monoing the 2 inputs (mono switchable)
    • A bypass switch that gives the pure Input that I still want to use (without juggling around jacks...)
    • add a midi function (with on/off) that adds frequency offsets to the RM speed based on highest/lowest note played, thus changing RM Speed with your playing and not just the ADSR.. imagine!